Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Scuba Diving the Colombian Coast
















While previous adventures have taken me to personally unprecedented heights above sea level, this next adventure would be just the opposite, as I would push the boundaries of depth under the sea.

Within minutes of walking into the scuba diving office I was setup watching the 3 hour instructional video and shortly after I was in the pool to begin mastering the skills that would be tested for my scuba diving certification. An avid snorkeler in San Diego, and with a previous dive that I remember well under my belt, I breezed through the pool course and was ready to hit the ocean the next day at 8am.


From the minute you back flip off the boat into the ocean, you are transformed into a different world. You don´t see, hear, move, or even breath the same. (Water reflects the light so everything appears bigger and closer, and sound travels faster and sounds louder under water.) Over the next 3 days and six dives I perfected the skills that would allow me to receive my certification, scuba dive on my own in the future, and in the process witness a completely new world.

The coral reefs here are covered in brain coral, which just as it sounds, looks like giant brains covering the rocks. All different colors and sizes they were amazing. The coral is home to hundreds of different kinds of fish and I swam along side eels, turtles, and barracuda's as well. Swimming with a 100 feet of water above you and not being able to see the surface is an amazing feeling. Gliding along the water examining, watching, and exploring, enjoying the ability to swim up, down, forward or backwards, it is as I imagine flying must feel. I can´t wait to get back in!